Now that you are more familiar with the lemon fruit, here are some ideas as to how to incorporate them.
1. My favorite way enjoy lemons are by squeezing 1/2 of one into warm to hot water. This is best first thing in the morning before any solid foods are eaten. It will help with digestion.
Why hot lemon water? Here is one logical concept that makes the most sense to me:
In Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine and healing system), fluids are drunken at room temperature or warm-hot, not cold. This is because in this tradition it is believed that our digestive fire (enzymes, hormones, and fluids) or “agni” needs to be on the hotter side in order to digest properly. It is important to note that “agni” in Ayurveda is an umbrella term for many different aspects of digestion which include the kidneys, liver, stomach, and more. Think of the belly as a furnace that is firing away at breaking down the substances we put into the body. Adding cold substances would impact on the furnaces capability of firing away or metabolizing. Hot lemon water gets many of these juices prepared to work for the day, and the antibacterial/antixoidant properties we spoke about may help to dissolve toxins which are in need of letting-go. Hence, digestion improves.
2. Placing squeezed lemon over a salad or onto cooked meats and vegetables is another flavorful way to enjoy lemon.
3. Rub a bit of lemon onto an avocado, apple, or fresh foods that turn brown when cut (exposing them to oxygen), as it will help keep from turning brown. Proper storage is essential also.
4. Place a squeeze of lemon into a homemade facial scrub. Use more if you would like to exfoliate the entire body. Here is one quick recipe. Feel free to add greek yogurt, honey, sea salt, avocado, banana, etc. get creative!
-1/4 cup white sugar
-1 tsp fresh lemon juice
-Enough water to make a sugary paste
5. Cleaning with lemon is easy. If using a white vinegar cleanser, squeeze at least 1/2 a lemon into he mix (less (about 1 tbsp) if you are making less then 1 cup of a cleaning solution).
Healing properties and benefits of lemon essential oil.
Questions, comments, and disgruntled opinions are always welcomed!